Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Ban Smoking in Public Housing?

The other night on the O'Reilly Factor they were having a debate on if it was legal to "ban smoking in public housing". One guest was pro for the ban and one was against it.

It's a known fact that poor adults smoke at higher rates, drink alcohol and abuse drugs. Heck, If I had to live in some of those hell holes the poor have to live in I'd be smoking, drinking and doing drugs too.

This is more of the "nanny state" mentality. If smoking is so bad why is it legal? Why don't they just ban cigarettes and make it illegal to light up? Oh, I know. . . .The billions of dollars the government receives in taxes.

You just wait till the government is in charge of our healthcare. Everything we love to do will be regulated, because our actions will affect Obamacare's bottom line.

But officer I wasn't smoking cigarettes. . . .I just burned the turkey in the oven again :) :)

Get dependent on the government and they will rule your life (because big brother knows whats best for you) ! ! ! !

-------------------------------------

They want to ban cigarettes but read this from drugpolicy.org:

Public benefits often denied to individuals on the basis of a drug conviction or drug use include welfare, educational loans, and public housing. Although Federal law authorizes these policies, several states have begun to reject such punitive measures. So far, 32 states have opted out or modified the drug felony ban on TANF welfare recipients, the most recent of which were the Drug Policy Alliance-led efforts in New Mexico and California.

Such policies are applied unfairly and create significant obstacles at a time when the public benefits could be instrumental in an individual's effort to complete drug treatment and achieve self-sufficiency.

--------------------------------------

Now I get it. . . .I can snort my cocaine or shoot up my heroin, but not light up my cigs in public housing. . . .